Superdielectrics Ltd set out in 2013 to develop biocompatible, electrically conducting hydrophilic polymers which had the potential to be used in Bioelectronics. During their research and development programme, they noted that their materials exhibited very unusual electrical properties. Following independent research by the Bristol University Electrochemistry group, it was found that when tested in devices with simple carbon electrodes, the devices were characterised by geometrical capacitances three or four orders of magnitude larger than the geometrical capacitances of carbon electrodes in conventional electrolyte solutions. It was determined that these outstanding electrochemical properties could be exploited in the development of high energy density supercapacitors.
Their goal now is to develop high energy density, low cost, low environmental impact electrical energy storage devices that will help create a clean and sustainable global energy and transportation system.
As part of their continued development, they now have an opportunity for someone to join their team in the position of
This exciting position will see you working at the cutting edge of technology. You will be primarily responsible for ensuring that the ongoing polymer research achieves the best outcomes for supercapacitor applications when applied in prototype cells and stacks, specifically to maximise the energy density in ways compatible with production. Currently achieving 26Whr/kg, the goal is to achieve 250Whr/kg within 5 years.
You will have a good working knowledge of electrochemistry and relevant testing procedures as applied to novel electrolytes and cells, and will be able to demonstrate the ability to plan, organise and carry out testing work and analysis of results.
- Degree (preferably with strong elements of electrochemistry) in Chemistry, Polymer Science, Material Science, or a very closely related subject – this is essential
- Post-Graduate Qualification in Chemistry, Polymer Science, Material Science, or a relat-ed subject – this is preferred (MSc, PhD etc)
- Good understanding of electrochemistry and its application in energy storage and pow-er sources
- A strong, demonstrable ability to undertake energy storage research programmes in a laboratory environment
- Detailed knowledge of electrochemical systems, materials, processes and testing re-gimes.
- Strong understanding of electrochemical techniques, software and equipment (e.g. po-tentiostats, impedance spectroscopy)
- An ability to analyse power source issues in a variety of products, applications and mar-kets and to be able to devise programmes to address their requirements
- Knowledge and understanding of energy storage and in particular of energy density; power density and energy/power delivery with respect to energy storage in battery or supercapacitor systems.
- A knowledge of the key industries where energy storage systems are implemented eg power tools, mobile phones, renewable energy, transport (electric vehicles, trains, avia-tion etc) is preferred. Any interest in renewable energy or energy storage is definitely beneficial as this will ultimately be where the application of the science will be used
- Familiarity with safe systems of work and Health and Safety practices in respect of re-search into energy storage systems (battery / supercapacitor)
- Experience of technology / science driven research and development and the applica-tions of that science into commercial projects
- Previous experience in a R & D environment
- Able to apply a high level of scientific rigor to the analysis of data and results, and use this to draw & present conclusions to other scientists and non-technical people
- Able to keep accurate records and to compile technical reports
- Any experience of patents for science is beneficial
- Able to work to industry standards eg ISO 9001
- Happy to work with pilot plant for scale up and commercialisation of products
- Have a high regard for health and safety and for appropriate housekeeping
- Not happy to accept the status quo, always wanting to push the boundaries of what is deemed acceptable or possible
Candidates must have the right to live and work in the UK. We are not able to offer sponsorship for this vacancy.
What is on offer ?
- Basic salary from £30,000-£35,000 (very negotiable according to ability and experience)
- Holidays 25 days plus statutory holidays
- Pension Plan
- The Company intends to set up an ‘in service’ share option scheme subject to HMRC approval.
- The chance to be part of something truly special
For further details and to discuss this role in more detail, please forward a CV to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0114 384 0123